I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
a white girl put on a hijab and experienced discrimination. suddenly the tumblr-verse erupts in awareness. of course.
- 2fabulousforyourshit reblogged this from beautifulworthless-love
- x-the-fault-in-our-scars-x reblogged this from lilhumie
- first-of-december likes this
- dxzziness likes this
- depressedwolf reblogged this from slammy13
- depressedwolf likes this
- tiyanamariespeaks likes this
- sketma reblogged this from fandoms-forever724
- ssoundandscenarioss likes this
- abiisslightlystrange reblogged this from jack-west-jr
- abiisslightlystrange likes this
- perturbium likes this
- fatesdance reblogged this from youbrokemeagain
- fatesdance likes this
- misfit2016 reblogged this from fictional-addictions
- renecca likes this
- fictional-addictions reblogged this from jack-west-jr
- beautiful-brown-eyes reblogged this from wonderlandstartshere
- laurenswand reblogged this from girlwhocriedworgen
- psychedelic-peacekeeper reblogged this from taayyllor
- atlantictothepacific likes this
- gamemaster7 reblogged this from junebug113
- lesshuggi reblogged this from mexicanlaugh
- micuko likes this
- matterofawesome likes this
- jack-west-jr reblogged this from sid-is-a-sloth
- skai-labyrinth reblogged this from itsdone-nowletitgo
- sid-is-a-sloth reblogged this from itsdone-nowletitgo
- theeringrace likes this
- ayooitstashi reblogged this from pemattress
- ayooitstashi likes this
- ridicluous reblogged this from youbrokemeagain
- ridicluous likes this
- youreacunt69 reblogged this from just-effin-smile
- cawabanana likes this
- cawabanana reblogged this from clandestinecate
- ha1derful likes this
- junebug113 reblogged this from itsdone-nowletitgo
- zaebell reblogged this from youbrokemeagain
- zaebell likes this
- saradelreyy likes this
- euphorialovelife reblogged this from itsdone-nowletitgo
- soomessedup likes this
- soomessedup reblogged this from good-old-fashion-villain
- mexicanlaugh reblogged this from youbrokemeagain
- code-606060 likes this
- youbrokemeagain reblogged this from hazeleyeslie
- youbrokemeagain likes this
- samii-z reblogged this from fandoms-forever724
- hazeleyeslie reblogged this from fandoms-forever724